Thursday, July 07, 2005

Uncle Father

From the mouth of babes can come some enlightening views. I have had the opportunity to be the recipient of such sage advice and reflective views. All because of a little niece by the name of Megan.

Megan is only 5 years old and we have had the opportunity to become fast friends and buddies this past week. Megan is not rowdy or bouncy-- like most five year olds. But she is observant and a sponge for information. And--she asks lots of questions.

Although Megan is but one of an endless line of nieces and nephews, great nieces and nephews---and even a couple of great greats in there--I just refer to her as Megan my niece [because I don't care to figure out all the great's].

Megan gets up and goes with me to Mass every day here.She also follows me around and has even found my secret hideaway in the motorhome where I retreat from all the activity. In fact she is sitting on a chair at the table eating some corn flakes for breakfast as I write. We just got back from mass about an hour ago.

Megan calls me Uncle Father. She recently found out that I was her Uncle and she noticed that everybody calls me a variety of names--Father being included--so she has settled on "Uncle Father"

This would not be special or worth mentioning other than she also thinks I'm nice and follows my example. Since she is so young--and I suspect-- does not get to Mass very often, she watches my every move and follows along as best she can.She mumbles the prayers and song words just about as good as the others at early morning Mass. I even helped her light a candle for a felloe priest who recently passed away.

Which brings me to the point of this piece. We are all examples to everybody in our lives. Some have not traveled our course and seek our council and inspirations. Some just follow along out of habit. but ALL leartn a little more about life from the examples we give through our actions and our words.

So--it is very very very important for us to always be aware of those little eyes and ears--[and adult ones]-- around me as I go about my life. The impressions and examples will play a critical role in the development of those who look up to us for example.

When we hear a babe blurt out a profane word or phrase--guess where that came from!

Megan wants to know why I'm called Father, Mikey, Mike, Father L----,Spud, and Michael Paul--by all the relatives, friends, and neighbors that have come by. Like I said--she is very observant. I'm sitting here trying to come up with a good way to put this into words that a very observant and wise 5 year old will understand.

I'm thinking of coming up with a new monikor for her. maybe--"Fr. Example" would fit the billing. I like the ring to it and it serves another purpose too. It reminds me just what responsibility I have when interacting with those around me.

I wish Yodi would pick up some of my "good" examples --such as only using my teeth to chew food and not paper.

No comments: