Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Thinking pads-- Vs-- Wishful thinking

I don't remember how I got in the habit of using a "thinking pad" It was so long ago that I don't remember the why or when of the question. I must have used a thousand of these over the years. I know I use one extensively for problem solving every critical juncture of my life. I also use them whenever a new idea or project pops into my mind. I even calculated myself into jail one time by following a plan well layed out in advance-- in a well worn pad.

I use those theme tablets you find at the store. The have different color covers. I'm not partial to any particular color--just give me the pages inside and watch my mind begin the process of creation.

This blog was the result of a thinking pad idea. So was the Neighborhood forum--and so is the new website that is slowly coming to life-- on the pad laying on the counter next to my coffee cup. Every idea that ever crossed my mind or project that needed completion found their way onto a pad. One of the problems I have with pads --things start happening once I start writing. If I feel lazy--I stay as far away from a tablet as possible--because once it starts I can't let go of the idea until something happens with it. Not every idea or project ever went past the tablet. Some just peter out because they were wrong or some other idea came along to replace them.

I can't think of one idea or project that ever grew fruit in my life that was not the result of a thinking pad.

Wishful thinking on the otherhand is just what it implies. Wishing for something to happen by itself. I wish I could get that position, I wish I had a different car, I wish I could meet interesting people--etc., etc. You might as well say "I wish I could win the lottery"--because you have about as much chance.

Even Yodi was the result of a tablet labeled "Need new companion dog" And from there the plan went into motion. I wonder if Yodi had a pad with me on it?

If your life seems to be stuck right now---take a trip down to the store and get a pack of six tablets. Open up the cover of the first one. And begin by writing on the top line what the project, idea, or needs are. Then watch the magic start. If you need some help--just contact me. I can give you some pointers that will fill up your imagination with ideas. "GOD" created our life--but he left what we do with it in our hands---or on the pages of a 'thinking pad"

1 comment:

Leo Pusateri said...

Great post, Fr. Mike--thank you!

-Leo-