Friday, July 29, 2005

I wonder what the trees think?

There is nothing like a trip to the wide open spaces. If you feel the world is going to hell in a handbasket, nature has just the solution.

Today I was admiring all the lofty oak trees in the park where we are camped. Some of them have to be several hundred years old. Thay have lived longer than our country has existed. These trees have enjoyed the long summer days and cold winter nights. They have seen the wildlife seeking shade beneath there branches and the white man when he first reached this area 165 years ago. Native Americans camped along the banks of the mighty Missouri river that winds through this town even before the white men arrived. Lewis and Clark passed through here on their way to the Pacific ocean.

Do you suppose the trees have any opinion on the Iraq war, oil prices, politics, social problems, school closings, jobs, crime--or any of dozens of more issues that we humans think about and fret over?

It doesn't look like they much care about anything. They are too busy being trees and minding their own business.

Besides--trees are much closer to "GOD" than any man can hope to be. You see--trees know that all their needs are provided for them regardless of what goes on around them in life. Man has this deal with "GOD" too--but he is too advanced and too clever to take advantage of it. Instead--he worries all the time.

I just bet these old oak trees have a lot of stories to tell worth listening to.
About harmony, and acceptance, about worship, and about ---"GOD" I love these old trees. And I just bet that they love me too.

Yep--I'm going to spend alot of time hanging out with these new found friends over the next 10 days, before hustling off to the next adventure on this trip. I just bet the trees are wondering--what is the hurry, why do I need to go? For a few hundred years all their needs have been met right here in this field. Why on earth would I ever leave it? Really the only answer I have for them is this: Because I'm a man and men just are not as smart as an old tree.

Yodi likes these trees too. I'm not sure if it is the wind I hear in the branches--or whether they are talking to me and Yodi. Maybe I should pay more attention.

I think "GOD" gave me these friends so that I would learn to be more patient and accepting of his promises.

No comments: