Friday, July 08, 2005

Revenge and retribution

Today I read where the creator of a computer virus called Sasser worm had his prison sentance suspended and would instead be serving community service. If the law and courts rule this to be proper--then we must all stand behind the decision.

To me the important concern should be whether the young man responsible and his parents are truly contrite and repentant over this crime--or whether they are simply relieved that nothing more serious such as a long prison sentance] was in hand.

Mistakes of judgement and sin are a part of everyones life. We should be concerned about this young man enough as a society to insure that he does not repeat such conduct and that he will not do this again in the future. There was no mention of counseling or mentoring taking place, but I sure hope it takes place. He should also lose any internet priviledges for a very long time if not forever. We should never expect to walk away from lifes mistakes without some form of cost on our behalf. The parents too--should step forward and do what they can financially to right those who were set back by the actions of their child. Pentance is a part of the process that must occur.

Personally--I was affected by this Sasser worm. I spent time and anquish getting the repair fix installed on my computer. I forgive the lad for his crime--but I do expect him and his parents to suffer the consequences. Not out of a feeling of revenge and anger--but to complete the healing of the offender and victims.

Time for a walk Yodi.

No comments: