Friday, July 15, 2005

Knowing when to hang up the spurs

I was an advocate for John Paul 11 to retire. Yes I know, how dare I suggest that the Pontiff resign while he could still do the job? The problem was--HE WAS SICK AND DYING AND INCAPABLE at the point--that I made the suggestion.

Now we have a Supreme Court Chief Justice [Rehnquist] seriously ill with cancer. He too should retire-- but has now said he wants to continue serving.

Both of these men are [or were] over 80 years old. Even in the best of health their jobs are two of the most demanding positions on earth. One leading millions of Christians as supreme head of the Roman Catholic church, the other leading a court that affects the rules of our land.

The truth of the matter is that both of these jobs rely on many aides and clerks to handle the bulk of work. But when the leaders are sick and incapacitated--it throws the decision making and leading onto the backs of the aides and clerks. Now these helpers may be competent in their limited fields--but we deserve to have the "Pope and Chief"-- doing the leading and making the decisions.

I believe it is a matter of self absorbtion or ego that must overide common sense in these men who are at the pinnacle of their respective fields. They should step aside at an age and condition when they can no longer give a 100% on a regular basis.But when the time comes--it seems that we must watch them waste away on the job--rather than have the new leadership that is in order.

It takes many years of ripening and maturity for a legal person or religious leader to gain wisdom and insight for these positions. I believe that divine guidance leads Presidents and Cardinals in the selection process for these offices. However--maybe this matter should be discussed with possible candidates before they are chosen.

Maybe a type of "job living will" needs to exist while these men are still competent and devoid of illness. Maybe they should do some self inventory prior to taking the jobs. It seems that once they attain the position--they sometimes lose sight at some point--- of reality. I hate to imply this of the Holy Father or Chief Justice--but they should have and should now step down for the good of their constituients.

I pray that I will know when the time is right to-- ride off into the sun. I pray that Chief Rehnquist makes that realization soon. For the good of the court and our country--not just his own selfish needs.

Yodi---will you please promise remind me when I start slipping. I don't want to overstay my welcome.

No comments: