Monday, May 16, 2005

Pop"s Pool Hall

Back in the 50's there existed in my home town a pool hall that was owned and operated by an elderly gentleman who everyone called Pop's. It was frequented by mostly teenagers and you could rent a table by the hour for 25 cents.

There was another elderly gentleman there by the name of Less who was the buliding maintenance guy where the pool hall was located---but he tended to spend a lot of time with the boys playing pool. If anybody has ever played straight pool or nine ball ---you would know, running the rack took some skill. Running the rack in straight pool multiple times in a row--was beyond skill and would put you in the elite catagory. Less was elite.

He could use "English" on the balls to make them dance around and do magic while knocking in one ball and leaving the cue ball placed exactly where it needed to be to make the next shot easy. He could also make the cue ball literally jump over a ball in the way and knock a ball in a pocket using English and skill that I have not seen since.

Less used to tell us tales about being a "rack boy" in a pool hall as a young lad growing up in San Francisco. This is where he learned to shoot pool and he was taught by the pro's who would work a circuit of halls up and down the coast-- relieving sailors and others of their hard earned money. They were the original "pool hustlers" of lore that books and movies were made of.

I was never very skilled as a player--but when Less would take the time and patience--he even had me a time or two looking pretty good. It was a privilidge to have Less show me the ropes of pool with Pop's looking on from his counter at the front of the store. With Less giving me tips and confidence--I could hold my own. However--once Less left the scene--my new found skill would always evaporate under the pressure of the game and I was soon back missing shots and being beaten in the process.

I could not figure out why I was always good when Less was watching over me and giving me some tips--but once he was out of sight I would lose it.

I have later had the same affect working with another "shark" at his profession--"GOD" When he has been actively coaching me and standing behind me giving tips---I seem to be able to make the right shots. Once I let him out of my sight--I'm soon missing the shots and reverting back to my bad habits while forgetting all the lessons.

Pop's pool hall is long gone and Pop's and Less have long since departed this life. I don't play pool anymore but I am engaged daily with the bigger game --called life. I'm learning to make sure my coach ["GOD"] never gets far from my ear or my game. Why should I take the chance of losing when he is always willing to put in the extra time to insure my success ---24 hours a day. He is never more than a prayer away. And I spend a lot of time just talking to him. it makes me feel good to have a friend around like him show me the ropes.

When I rack up the balls in the game of life--I need a good coach--and I am fortunate to have found the best.

Come on Yodi. How about a game of nine ball. You can have the break shot and I will try to help you out by passing on what Less taught me about pool and what "GOD" has taught me about life.

No comments: