Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Being attached to stuff

Today I awoke to find my new special designed eyeglasses laying on the floor with freshly chewed earpieces and scratched lenses. For a brief moment a wave of panic swept through my being.

I became anxious and stressed as I fondly grasped the glasses in my hands and wheeled myself to the nearby bathroom sink. I gently applied soap and carefully rinsed off the glasses. A inner feeling of lose swept over me as I surveyed the damage done. These glasses were designed to help correct my ailing left eye. They were bi-focals which would allow me to read without changing glasses. They were everything I needed and I felt a deep sense of lose.

And then--- I caught myself. After all --- they were only glasses and I had lived for many years without them. It is true they would have made my life more comfortable and benefited me in dealing with my current physical malady however they would not necessarily be the only solution available.

I felt embarrased and humiliated that I had allowed these glasses to create a brief dependance in my life. Everything I have needed has been provided by my creator and there was no reason to fret now over the diminished capacity of the glasses. I could still partially use them, and maybe I can find some new ear pieces or apply tape over the rough chew marks. Solutions were already forming in my mind and the anxiety was replaced by a calmness like the morning air after a fierce winters night storm.

Once again my little pooch had come to the rescue. I patted him on his little head, and thanked him for coming to my rescue. We then went about our morning chores happily anticipating what the day had in store for us. As I write this my little canine teacher lays curled up in my lap. His mission once again accomplished. What a blessing the Lord has given me today.

No comments: