Friday, May 13, 2005

Allowing and Accepting

I have a tendancy to want to fix other peoples problems. Or what I see as being their problems. The tendancy is less now than when I was a young man and I now see through my ridiculous folly sooner than later.

I'm more efficient at handling these slips now and have learned to listen more than speak when confronted with anothers issues.

As I have become a better listener I think "GOD" has become a better listener in my life.

Counseling is 90% listening and 10% repeating to the counseled---what they just told me. The help I can offer comes about in direct proportion to the skill I use in getting the counseled to hear and understand what they have just said.

Once they understand--they are perfectly capable of making their own decisions on which direction to go. Once they make a decision, my job is to help them decide upon a solution---and encourage them to follow through with its implementation.

Where I get in trouble is sometimes wanting to step in and do the work for them. It sometimes is called a savior complex. Their free will is compromised anytime I try to take control of it.

"GOD" is the expert at this formula and a lot can be learned by watching how he works through my own life. Of course I too have to do the talking and prayers while he listens. and--he is not going to do my solution work either. he may offer up some solutions--but the rest is on me. He invented free will and knows exactly how it works.

Now--- when Yodi barks at me and gets my attention, I have also learned to listen. He generally knows which solution is best too when I allow him the room to learn. And if he makes a mistake I accept him for who he is and allow him the room to grow.

Life is a journey of learning and growing---at our own pace. And when we stumble or feel unsure of what direction to go, we have the one who created counseling and solutions to show us the way. Pretty neat huh Yodi?

No comments: