Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Lifes circumstances has rewards

As a young child I always wanted to be big. Actually I would have settled for just being average in height and weight. Until I was 15 years old i was always the smallest or tied for the title of any other child my age.
Each school year one of the Sisters at school would weigh us at the beginning of the year and again at the end. I believe my body never realized that growth was an option after I had filled it with food from September until the end of the school year. At the beginning of the 7th grade, I was 4' 8" tall and weighed in at 77lbs. The teacher always placed me at the front of the class so I could see the blackboard and not have to manuever around the taller heads of my classmates.

I then grew 6 inches in the 7th grade and another 8 inches in the 8th grade. This allowed me to catch up with most of my peers. I was happy to be normal and no longer suffered the names that pip squeeks get called. Another added benefit was the skills I had learned in negotiation and diplomacy while always being small. Small people have to figure out at an early age not only how to survive the bullies of the world but how to receive the scraps thrown their way by those blessed with size.

I spent all those years pleading and praying to "GOD" for some relief . When it finally came--I not only gained what I felt I was lacking but the added skills not realized by those around me who already enjoyed what I thought I was lacking.

50 years later I still enjoy the skills I obtained by being the shrimp. By spending my first 7 years in school at the front of the class meant fewer chances to daydream and ---being called on to answer more questions of the Sisters than those bigger who were stuck in the back of the room. I was more involved and believe I learned a lot more. I had to be at the top of my game or the sisters would have surely made me pay. As a result--I always was in the top 2 or 3 in when the report cards came out.

Now not everybody has the blessing of being a shrimp and coming out average size. It was simply the circumstances that I was given. I had to play the hand dealt to me as best I could. I didn't like it and at the time wished things were different. Now--I worry more about weight and maintaining the body I have left than what height I am. Just different circumstances to deal with.

There is always a reward that comes from our circumstances if we do the best we can with what we have. I have learned to take what I have in life and run with it. It is in the "running with it" where the rewards will be found.

Speaking of running with it. Yodi--will you please bring back that sock you decided to run with.

No comments: