Saturday, August 20, 2005

Meeting and confronting Satan on the internet

I don't know why I was naive enough to let down my guard on the internet. I suppose it is because it is inpersonal. I have a keyboard and a screen that is 15 inches wide in front of me--not an actual person or demon.

I have spent just over a year and hundreds of hours conversing over cyberspace with a wide range and audience. In my minds eye I form pictures and personas of those who I converse with. I have no idea whether they are real or fiction. I already assumed that many are not what they claim to be. But I always gave the benefit of doubt as the converstions flowed on.

But--when I became serious about internet ministry work and the benefit of using cyberspace to teach and help others--as if it were a cyberspace St. Paul's Parish---I became aware of another presence hiding behind the screen. This was an evil, manipulative presence. I prayed and meditated what next to do. It isd one thing to be in counsel with an actual human being where interpersonal counseling is in the flesh. And--where all my senses can be utilized in discenment. but--a computer screen? How does one discern that?

So I began using the only tools available to me. Visual signs of the screen. Inside the visual signs are the written words of those on the other end of cyberspace. I could ask questions and interpret responses. And I could compare responses over time to look for signs of Satan behind the script.
The same tests that apply in person, I have applied in cyberspace.

The next problem that arises is how to call him and his demons out into the open. How does one shine the bright light of Christ into the hidden corners of the conversations? Satan does not have the virtues of mankind. Although not many humans display all the virtues--or even some at any time. The intent of Satan and the intent of a person are different. So I look for intent behind conversations. Over time Satan shows his intent. Since he has influence over those on the other end of the cyber--conversation, he uses it. But--he still must use the facilities of the other person to weave his web of deceit and lies. He can influence the other person but he cannot totally possess the other person without immediatly showing his true nature out front. It is in the humanity of his puppet that he can be found.That humanity--even if it is only a small part still shinning--where he can be recognized.

More on this later---

Don't be afraid Yodi. Once we have the demons out in the open, we will go from there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good article Michael L., thanks. Might I add.

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1

As in John's day, there were those who believed knowledge was superior to virtue - only a select few could understand the Scriptures - evil in the world precludes God (Yahweh) being the only Creator - deity can not unite with anything material such as a body - there is no resurrection of the flesh. Gnosticism! We read it everyway still today, especially on the internet.

The Holy Spirit will guide the Christian and if we are attentive students It doesn't take long to test the spirits. IMO, the internet provides a perfect environment for people to write what they really believe and thusly be discovered more quickly than if we were to talk with them face to face.

"By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God;" 1 John 4:2