Thursday, November 03, 2005

My "not so pleasant" online purchase experience.

Last week after months of research, I made a decision to make a major purchase on-line from a company that I thought could be trusted. I grew up with their catalogs and dad swore by their tools and the fact that they had a lifetime guarantee. Something about the term "lifetime" associated with a company tends to bring up strong images of quality and trust. Every town in America probably had one of their stores or at least a catalog outlet.I must admit that over the years I have drifted more towards discount stores and this stores main competitor--Walmart. maybe it was nostalgia that made me choose to go with this stalwart of American retail history.

I visited the companies on-line site, picked out the item I wanted and before completing the order, I called their toll free number just to confirm that the product was in fact available and to pin down exactly when it would arrive, and what I needed to do. Sylvia, [I keep notes on who I talk to along with what they say]-the on-line representative answered all my questions with an air of confidence and cheer in her voice. She closed the deal for me. All I needed to do was follow the simple order form, fill in all the required lines, enter my card number, and today my purchase would arrive.

Monday, a computer generated voice called me at home. The voice rattled off my order information and confirmed my thursday delivery. I was excited. I had spent over $2,000, this to me was a major expenditure planned on for many months, and I was dealing with a company over 100 years old and known for quality and customer service.

At 12 noon today, I called the toll free number to check on my delivery. I was given the shipping companies number by Shelly.I called the number and after listening to elevator music for 10 minutes, Barb came on the phone. I gave Barb my order number----and at that point my experience went down hill. Barb announced that she had called my home phone yesterday at 9 AM. That she had left a message that I needed to call her back by 12 noon to confirm my delivery--and because I had not called back as required--it would be sometime in December before the delivery would be coming as they were booked up until then. I explained to Barb that I did not receive a call yesterday as I was home all day, and that my phone message machine did not have a message. Barb became huffy and told me that there was nothing more she could do and that was that. I asked to talk with her supervisor. I was put on hold and after 10 more minutes of elevator music, Barb informed me that a supervisor would call me by 9 PM toningt. And then my phone call was cut off.

I called the on-line number again and this time James answered. I explained to him my situation and felt that I had become the victim of poor company service. After he took down all my order info and putting me on hold--and about 5 minutes of elevator music--my phone call was cut off. I called again and this time Sylvia answered the call. I gave Sylvia all my info once again. I was put on hold and after another 5 minutes of elevator music---Sylvia informed me that there was nothing to be done. She was very apologetic. I asked Sylvia if I could speak with a supervisor. She put me on hold and after a few more minutes of elevator music, Donna came on the line. Donna informed me that the product I had ordered was in fact out of stock--and that was why my delivery date was sometime in December. I was confused. I asked her why the delivery company [Barb] had given me a false story about my delivery? I was apologized to. I asked Donna if there was any other way that I could recieve this item before sometime in December. She put me on hold and after a moment--the phone call was cut off.

At this point--many would wonder why I didn't simply cancel the order? The thought did cross my mind--but I decided to insist that this company live up to their end of the bargain. I had did everything I was supposed to-but they had failed me.Why should I be lied to and why should they get away with shoddy customer service? Besides---at this point I had already invested a lot of emotional energy into this purchase.

I called the number again. I had to go through this entire process again . First talking to the sales rep. [I forgot to write this ones name down], and eventually talking to Beth a different supervisor. Beth did some checking and informed me that the product was actually in stock, but that the delivery company only delivered in my area once a week. And--that the schedule was filled up until mid December. At this time I became upset. I had now been lied to several times and requested to talk to somebody in management. I was getting this straightened out today. Beth called Barb at the shipping company. She then informed me that Barb would call me back in a few minutes to further discuss my delivery status.

Barb called me back and after several tense moments, she arranged for my product to be delivered next tuesday. She told me that she would call on monday to confirm the delivery. I told Barb that as far as I was concerned she could consider the delivery date confirmed.

I don't feel so nostalgic about this company anymore.

So--we shall see on tuesday if my delivery arrives. Stay tuned.

No comments: