Friday, October 21, 2005

When friends pass on

The prayers are said, the journey complete and the friend I have shared so many laughs with lays silent in the coffin. No more jokes, no more walks under the stars wondering and contemplating the mysteries of the universe.

Just silence. My thoughts wander back 35 years to a time filled with magic and wonder. We were both going to solve the worlds spiritual problems. There were no wrinkles or balding heads. We could talk for hours on end. Just two friends enjoying each others company.

Cathy his siter called early tuesday morning. I have known her since she was three years old. She is friends with my sister so I figured she was calling me about Christmas plans. I didn't expect to hear that my friend Gary had suddenly died of a heart attack.

I can't attend the wake or funeral because of practical considerations. Gary knows how I am and will fully understand.

I read a story about a guy who used to talk to Jesus in an empty chair. So tonight I talked to Gary. I told him how sad I was that he was gone and how much i will miss those phone calls and long winded conversations. Those that know me here and elsewhere would have liked Gary. Please pray for my good friend. They don't make them any better. Save a place for me Gary.

No comments: