Monday, October 24, 2005

The question of "Existence" and its meaning

I have noticed that the main question behind many discussions I get involved with boils down to one simple yet profound word,-- and four basic questions. "Existence" What does it mean to exist? Why do we exist? Where did our existence come from? What happens after we no longer exist?

When we look out through our eyes, listen with our ears, and touch the matter around us, it is through these senses that we claim existence. Once we become aware that we are in fact here--then the four questions I listed come into play.

The last question is the one most feared or anticipated and that is where many of the arguments and opinions come from. I divide this question into three distinct views: 1.we continue to live in a non physical environment, 2. we don't know what happens. 3. we simply cease to exist.

To me the most logical answer is that we continue to exist--but not in a physical form. That this is only a temporary "existence", and that this "life" is not the destination but simply part of the trip. It is a very important part of the trip if we believe that there is a creator and that our lives do have meaning and purpose.

Viktor Frankl touched on existence in his book regarding the meaning of life.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
From: "Mans Search For Meaning"--Victor Frankl

On Discovering the Meaning of Life
"The meaning of our existence is not invented by ourselves, but rather detected." p.157

"What matters, therefore, is not the meaning of life in general, but rather the specific meaning of a person's life at a given moment." p.171

"We can discover this meaning in life in three different ways: (1) by doing a deed; (2) by experiencing a value; and (3) by suffering." p.176
_____________________________________________________________________________________

In this book, he discussed an existence foreign to most people. One of degradation and one reduced to the lowest form of survival. He was a prisoner during WW11 in a Nazi concentration camp. And--he was deprived of all but the base elements needed for physical life. He owned nothing more and expected nothing more. Life became one of moment to moment. When he said that life is not invented by us--but detected he was talking about awareness. Awareness of ones existence.

We are also aware of other things that our senses pick up externally such as each other and the stars overhead. What or who made all of this? Where was the beginning and what was before that?

This brings me to another point. Love.

Love can be used to describe how we feel about ourself and all that exists outside of ourself. I consider "love" to be the prime reason that all exists including me and you. We were "loved" into existence. Everything.

I believe that "GOD" loved everything into existence. The force of his creation was love and he created the purest form of expression when he created this term we call love.

It is through love that I can explain "GOD" and I can attest that he did become man through his "SON", the Lord Jesus Christ.

I prove "GODS" existence -- by loving others outside myself. And I explain "GODS" existence-- by loving "GOD". My faith becomes real when I expand outside my own existence by loving outside my existence. If what I am is an expression of "GODS" love then by me loving him and others--they too become real. It is out of my faith in him that I love --and it is through this love that I find him.

Jesus Christ taught me about love and it is the key to explaining the existence of everything from alpha to omega.The meaning of life's existence --is "LOVE". It is the glue that binds heaven and earth together. It is the substance that got us here and it is the substance that will get us home--to heaven. I call it substance because it can be experienced with all our senses.

Enough today Yodi. let's take a walk.

To be continued:

No comments: