Monday, May 22, 2006

Rashes, skin flaps, and weird toenails

We need to be more careful when we begin a serious self examination. We just might find stuff we never intended to find. And...as my sweet niece might say "that's gross"!

This morning while drying off from a shower, and as I was wiping my underarms, I noticed a rather strange looking rash where their wasn't one the last time I looked. It didn't itch or appear inflamed. It just stared back at me from behind some rather floppy looking skin flaps. I called my healthcare provider and talked to a duty nurse. She said that it might be from the low humidity but not to worry. Somebody their told me the same thing about those skin flaps a few years ago. I had never heard of such a thing until I hit 60...then all hell broke loose as more and more moles and other aberations begin to take over my body.

It doesn't seem that long ago that the hair left my head and migrated to my ears, eyebrows, and nostrils. Another niece reminded me quite bluntly of those configurations. I like that word and I think I will re-name my body to it. It better defines what I have become...a "gross configuration".

Every now and then I pull out the old musty scrapbooks from college and seminary days. Smiling back at me is a robust young man with tanned skin standing tall and upright with a muscular physique honed from the summer jobs of manual labor. I even blush at times at just how handsome of a dude I once was.

Have skin flaps, excessive moles, weird hair and dumpy bodies always been a trait of men over 60? I don't remember dad ever bringing it up. Of course with modesty present in those days--one was never afforded the opportunity to examine a parent as they were always dressed from head to toe in starched apparel. Starch!!! Now that is subject matter for another post.

The reason I bring this up late this afternoon is because I happened to get a shot at my toenails later today when the light was just right and my bi-focals were at the optimun distance. The sight shook me to the core. What were once ordinary smooth looking and well trimmed protective coverings for my dainty toes are now...!@#$%^&*(... YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ! And I wish I didn't.

Quit laughing Yodi. This isn't funny.

No comments: