Thursday, May 18, 2006

Farmer Mike----Tree Murderer

Well I did it this time! Call the sheriff and have him haul me off to the pokey.

A couple of months ago I thought it would be dandy if I did a little farming...or orcharding is a better description. My brother had aquired a piece of land with a barn and old farmhouse on it out in the country near Benson, Arizona. He decided to plant some fruit trees...14 to be exact, and four grape bushes/vines. He invited me along and I helped best as I could as the tree and bush holes were dug. I was in charge of contacting the University of Arizona ag-cooperative to establish exactly what materials were needed and how exactly to plant this orchard. And I did.

As my brother and a helper dug the holes, I made sure the holes were the right depth and diameter. The right mulch and top soil for the trees and bushes were added. Mounds were built around the trees to keep the water irrigation isolated and each tree and bush were gently planted per specification.

Irrigation lines were hooked up to a brand new water system which had a super duper timer that controled watering area, time, day, and how many times each day. Water lines were run to four zones and individual lines and nozzles installed for each tree and bush. We set the time and days and water duration so that the soil and orchard were getting what they needed.

Sounds good so far doesn't it.

We finished up over a period of several days. My brother handed the operation over to me...since it was my big mouth that volunteered to be farmer Mike. Well I live about 70 miles from this new orchard. We talked to the neighbor and he agreed to call me if anything was wrong with the farmhouse, barn, etc. So with full confidence-- off my brother goes leaving the baby trees and bushes with me.

I diligently traveled out there and tended the trees and bushes as if they were my own children---complete with prayers and blessings. I applied the extra mulch stuff after 30 days as instructed which in itself about wore me out as I am somewhat limited in what I can do. But I felt being farmer Mike would be good for my body, mind, and spirit.

Now we come to the ugly part. Gulp!

I left town for a two day retreat that lasted for a month. During that time the temperature rose---and then rose even higher. The result was that my once perfect irrigation schedule was no longer capable of applying the water needed. Low humidity and high temperature means rapid evaporation.I learned this orchard fact just today.

I decided this afternoon to ride out and check the orchard. What were once thriving little trees and bushes were now brown and wilted. The once moist ground and mulch was all cracked and dry. I'm afraid one of the peach trees and a plum tree have gone on to tree heaven. The others will be in intensive care for some time. The neighbor dropped by and told me he and his wife had been gone fishing in Mexico for three weeks and by coincidence was going to call me tonight and tell me the orchard was in trouble.

I turned the irrigation system on manuel and the neighbor will turn it off once everything is soaked pretty good.

I'm trying to figure out how to break it to Yodi that I will probably be serving hard time making little rocks out of big rocks on a chain gang for the next 20 years. I have a call into my brother and when he contacts me I will break the news. The once excited dreams we shared off apple pies, grape jelly, fresh peaches, necterines, etc. are in in the process of becoming a nighmare at this time.

Please pray for the remaining orchard. I must go now. The sheriff will soon be here and Yodi needs fed prior to me breaking the news to him.

No comments: