Saturday, December 17, 2005

Medical researchers make me sick!

Here we go again. Another diet myth exposed and one has to wonder what next is on the list that will soon be proven false.

The belief that a high-fibre diet will keep your colon healthy and cancer-free -- a popular medical theory since the 1960s -- does not appear to be correct, according to a new study.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health, who analyzed a number of long-term studies on the issue, said they "could not find support" for the notion that the risk of colorectal cancer is reduced by regular consumption of fibre.

Still-- they said there are plenty of good reasons to eat the recommended five to 10 servings daily of fruits and veggies-- along with plenty of whole grains.

"It's still important to eat a high-fibre diet," said Yikyung Park, a postdoctoral fellow at the U.S. National Cancer Institute in Washington and a member of the team whose research is published in today's edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

"Even though our study didn't find a reduction in colorectal cancer, other studies show that high-fibre diets reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes."

Other researchers also cautioned that this is far from the final word on the topic.

From as far back as I can remember, medical scientists have been telling me to quit eating my favorite foods for health benefits. Hey--I'm all in favor of doing what is right if it means I can get a few more miles out of this carcass. But---and it is a "big but"--I'm getting a little annoyed when one of these proven dietary links to disease becomes dis-proven.

Bacon, cows milk, coffee, tea, beef, catsop, butter, alcohol, cigars, and fast food have all been favorites of mine over the years. Why? Because they taste good and I like to eat what tastes good.

So now the researchers are telling me that all the fiber that I have choked down was for naught. I hate rabbit food but felt my colon needed it in abundance.

I'm going to pledge right now to eat exactly what I want and when i want it for the rest of my natural life. And I'm also letting Yodi do the same.

Please pass the capsop and i think I will have another cup of coffee--and a donut too. And anybody that doesn't agree--? I'll eat your donuts too!

No comments: