Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The self examination at Lent--No ! this one does not require you to bend over.

OK friends, it has been a year since we last visited Lent. Tommorow we get to wake up early and begin our fast for Ash Wednesday. And that doesn't mean you can sneak into the refrigerator late tonight while the rest of the family sleeps and finish off the meatloaf and apple pie. Just like Lent--fasting is a privilidge and honor. It hinges on the "intent" we have to serve and sacrifice. We prepare at this time of year for the Easter celebration, and are reminded of the Lord who "gave" all so that we may "receive" all. With that in mind we in earnest use this time to purify our vessel in its entirety--mind-spirit-body.

Taking inventory and examining our conscience is vital in this process.

Over the past year you probably visited personal physician and dentist. They checked your body functions, blood chemistry, and gave you a thorough going over from inside and out. Tonight we are going to continue that effort with an even more important examination.

Let's first examine our "Love of "GOD"".

Have I loved "GOD" above all else, or have I allowed other things--money, popularity, image, success--to motivate me and have primary place in my heart?

Are there areas in my life that I am holding back from "GOD"? Secret parts I don’t want to expose to his light and his love?

Have I been faithful in my commitment to prayer and reading Scripture, to nourish my relationship with "GOD"?

Have I been faithful in honoring the Lord on the Sabbath?

Have I shown disrespect for "GOD'S" name by misusing it in anger or frustration? By hesitating to mention "GOD" in appropriate situations? Have I avoided revealing my faith in certain situations?

Secondly let's examine our-- "Love of Neighbor".

Is there anyone of whom I need to ask forgiveness? Is there anyone I need to forgive?

Have I yielded to anger and spoken hurtful or damaging words? Am I praying for those I consider "enemies"?

Do I strive for mercy and compassion, or do I hold others to an unreasonably high standard?

Do I envy others' lives or material possessions? Have I taken what is not rightfully mine?

Have I cheated or lied? Have I sought to protect my reputation at the expense of others?

Do I gossip? Have I failed to keep a secret that should have been confidential?

Have I engaged in sexual immorality? Have I tried to control my thoughts or given in to fantasies or lust? Have I treated others as objects and not persons valued by "GOD"?

Do I love the poor and do what I can to help, even if it means sacrifice on my part?

That concludes this post. I need the remainder of the evening to complete my own examination. And Yodi is guarding the kitchen entry against any late night sleep walking that might venture in that direction. Gulp!

No comments: